A day with the LEGEND (Alonso)

on Jul 28, 2010

Yes, he is a legend. Now:

I couldn't get off the platform at Castellon.

That kind of ruined the picturesqe hug I had planned on when I seen Isaias Alonso for the first time in half a decade. I walked up the stairs to the exit, seen Alonso and his girlfriend approaching and walked straight into the glass gate! Apparently I was supposed to have a train pass to scan to get out, but since I was traveling via EuRail, I had to actually get checked out. So, the railway guy let me out and THEN I got my epic hug! I can't express how great it was to see Alonso's smile! We took a few photos and walked back to his place.

Now, I know he's going to read this, so I want to be clear, I'm not just talking him up!

The hospitality I had was wonderful, I couldn't have asked for more and I see Mr. Alonso as a friend now, more than a former teacher. He arranged for my laundry, internet access and everything else I needed, and asked what I wanted for dinner. I had yet to experience a traditional Spanish meal and that sounded good for the night. A delicious Spanish meal is exactly what he made for me; it was the best thing I've eaten this entire trip! (Though I may be a be just a little biased, as I haven't eaten as much as normal for the past few weeks. Either way, it was incredibly good!) He even opened up a special bottle of wine for me – totally uncalled for – and a friend of his joined us shortly after dinner. We talked and caught up all night before going to bed late in the night. It was one of the best nights I've had the entire trip. Probably one of the best nights I will have. (Thanks, Isaias!)

I slept very well that night, until nine the next morning. Having a good bed does that. I arose for yet another giant meal put together by Alonso. All sorts of breakfast foods and some Spanish sausage for the calories I'd burn while walking around Barcelona (though, I didn't end up in Barcelona til late that night). I packed my things and we walked down to the train station to try and catch the 11:45 train to Barcelona. The train was full until six, however, but Mr. Alonso and his girlfriend were happy to spend the rest of the day guiding me around downtown Castellon. We were still talking and catching up the entire time (lots can happen in five years!), it made me realize how important it is to keep up with old friends, as well as how important it is to visit them. (On a side note, I'll be starting another blog soon to include these things I've learned about travel. I'll keep you posted.)

Around two, after our tour of the city, we had worked up an appetite. I was then treated to the best Chinese food I had ever eaten around the corner from Alonso's apartment. It was an upscale place that served meals in tapas stye: huge plates to be shared amongst the table. Just two plates was more than I could eat! We finished up and headed back for a nap before I left.

As we walked toward the station nearing six and as with all the rest of the cities and places I have visited, I was not yet ready to leave. Especially so since I had a real friend this time (well, old friend – I've made plenty of real friends along the way) who was so welcoming. It's one of the best feelings I've ever had to see somebody I know on the road, made even better for half a decade of his absence.

Thank you for a fantastic day, SeƱor Alonso! Whatever wild city I land in years from now, I hope you come visit me so I can return the favor!

0 Reactions:

Post a Comment